NACCOM is recruiting for a Policy and Advocacy Coordinator (maternity cover)- could you be the person we’re looking for?
The Policy and Advocacy Coordinator will oversee NACCOM’s advocacy work, developing and implementing the advocacy strategy. They will consult with member organisations and the people they are working with to gather information on the issues affecting them. This post will oversee the national members survey, gathering data from member organisations to quantify the extent of destitution nationally. They will produce research reports, parliamentary briefings and respond to consultations as required, as well as working in partnership with others to achieve NACCOM’s advocacy goals. This post will provide and co-ordinate opportunities for individuals to speak about their experiences of being destitute and be part of the advocacy work.
Key details of the post:
- Salary: £26,470 pro rata’d. If based in inner London there will be an additional £3,405 per annum pro rata’d
- 30 hours per week with 25 days annual leave per annum pro rata’d
- Temporary maternity cover post for up to one year
- The post is home based, or depending on location there may be the possibility to be based in one of NACCOM’s member organisations. There will be extensive travel around the UK. The postholder will need to be in a location which can easily access the majority of our members (who are based in England) via train.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement an advocacy / campaigning strategy (with the National Director) to challenge the current injustices in the asylum system which lead to destitution.
- Support members with gathering evidence including coordinating the national members survey, analysing the results and producing briefings on the findings.
- Attend relevant national policy meetings and parliamentary group meetings
- Co-ordinate specific evidence gathering and writing of research reports, as well as responding to government consultations and producing parliamentary briefings in support of the advocacy strategy.
- Work closely with relevant organisations as required to further the advocacy goals.
- Support the Communications Coordinator in training and empowering asylum seekers, refugees and organisations that support them to tell their stories to the media and to decision makers.
- Support the National Director with fundraising to support the continued work of NACCOM as and when required.
- Support the National Director in the co-ordination and management of key events such as the Annual Conference as and when required.
- Abide by NACCOM’s Equality and Diversity policy
This is a great opportunity for an individual who is passionate about ending the destitution of asylum seekers and supporting NACCOM’s members to do the same. IDEAL candidates will have the following qualifications/experience:
- A commitment to and understanding of NACCOM’s beneficiaries and mission
- Experience in developing and delivering an advocacy / campaigning strategy
- Experience of analysing data and writing research reports.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation (oral and written) skills and attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and able to work alone using own initiative.
- Proven relationship building skills to establish and maintain good working relationships.
- Proven ability to be flexible and meet tight deadlines.
- Good IT skills including all Microsoft Office applications.
- Willingness and capacity to travel within the UK.
- Experience of providing supported accommodation to destitute asylum seekers
- Knowledge of the UK asylum System
- Experience of working with parliament
- Experience of working with people at a distance using a range of communications platforms.
- Experience of empowering and training asylum seekers and refugees to tell their stories
How to Apply?
Interviews will take place in London on the 1st May 2019. We are happy to conduct Skype interviews.